Even in pre-historic times, the highlands of Prissiano had settlers in St. Hippolyt whose lives are reflected in historic findings. Prissiano was already mentioned during the Roman and Langobard times.
Numerous fortresses, castles, residences and ruins around the fortress village of Prissiano (whose building history reaches back into the Middle Ages) are witnesses to the fact that this region with its excellent climate and beautiful landscape, was always a preferred place to live.
Prissiano received its name from the Roman general Priscus: Prissianum (approximately 79 A.D.).
Below the stone bridge which leads to the castle entrance of castle Katzenzungen in Prissiano, you will find Europe's largest and oldest grapevine growing. The white grape comes originally from Versailles in France which gave the grape it's name: "Versoaln".
The vine is approximately 600 years old and its foliage roof covers an area of 350 m². In a good year, the vine produces up to 700 kg of mash. The wine, approximately 600 to 700 bottles per annum, is available in the castle for sale with certification.
Castle Fahlburg, originally "Tower of Vall" was build during the 13th Century and owned by the Lords von Zobel. It is said that the minnesinger Oswald von Wolkenstein was kept captive by Barbara Jäger in the "Vall", where he wrote songs and lamented bitterly about the tortures.
Castle Katzenzungen was first mentioned in 1244 when it was owned by Henricus de Cazzenzunge.
Castle Wehrburg was built during the 13th Century and was owned for more than five centuries by the Lords von Andrian-Wehrburg whose dynasty was extinct in 1798.
The old castle Casatsch which once stood on the top of a high-ranging hill above the village Nalles, now only contains some ruined walls.
The former Castle Holz, which was mentioned in 1236, has only a few ruined walls. It is located above Prissiano in a forested area.
Castle Zwingenburg was first mentioned in 1237. In 1274 the sovereign Meinhard II bought the castle.
The Saint Martin's Chapel was first mentioned in 1159. It was restructured during the 17th Century and renovated in 1975.
The Saint Anthony Chapel is the oldest church in the village. Today only the remains of some walls are still visible.
Climbing in the best known and spectacular mountains in the Alps
The highest plateau in Europe, situated in the middle of the Dolomites
On a sunny plateau with wonderful views of the Pustertal
The path 24 encompasses the reserve of the Tessa mountains