On the 13th August 1907 a narrow gauge railway was opened, and for the first time it was possible to travel from Bolzano to the Renon, with an altitude difference of 1,000 metres, in the then unbelievable time of 90 minutes. Reliable and not dependant on the weather, this modern railway brought not only people but also goods to the Renon.
The cog railway was until the 1960s the lifeline of the Renon. The railway remains in use today, and connects the villages Soprabolzano, Costalovara, Lichtenstern and Collalbo.
The number of carriages has been increased, to allow the railway to run more frequently, bringing joy to many enthusiasts.